The Summer Institute brings together educators to build a community of practice in support of powerful maker education programs.
Maker education is learner-driven and hands-on.
Through a combination of workshops, discussions, skill sharing, break-outs, reflection, and collaborative work time, we will deepen our practice, learn from each other, and design together for equity in our respective programs; the Institute is built upon Maker Ed’s core values: equity, agency, community, learning, and joy.
As a participant, you will experience maker education firsthand, reflect on your experiences, collaborate with others, and apply what you learn to your own context.
Testimonials from 2019 Institute Participants
Who Should Attend?
The Summer Institute is well-suited for teams of educators of all experience levels who are looking to further develop their maker education practice in schools, libraries, museums, makerspaces, and other educational settings. We encourage you to gather a team of colleagues from your organization or community.
The Institute focuses on:
- Designing for equity and sustainability
- Program design – based on our Making Spaces program
- Curriculum and activity development – based on our Approaches to Maker Education and workshop
- Documentation & Assessment – based on our Open Portfolio Project, Beyond Rubrics, and Documenting for Assessment workshop
Location and Dates
The Maker Ed Institute will be hosted at the Maker Ed Community Studio in Berkeley, CA from Monday, June 22nd through Friday, June 26th, 2020. Breakfast and lunch will be provided daily, and we will host a networking dinner in the evening of Tuesday, June 23rd.
Specific times are listed below:
- Monday: 10am – 4:00pm
- Tuesday: 8:30am – 7:30pm (with dinner)
- Wednesday & Thursday: 8:30am – 4:00pm
- Friday: 8:30am – 3:00pm
Fees and Application Overview
Priority for attendance at the institute will be given to teams who are at least fifty percent people of color. We believe that our movement is made stronger, more effective, and most relevant for our learners and communities by the leadership of practitioners with a wide array of perspectives and experiences.
In addition, our institute is most effective for teams from an organization or community who have mixed roles (e.g. librarian, teacher/educator, administrator/principal). Group size will be limited to four participants from a single community or organization.
Maker Ed offers the institute on a sliding-scale fee basis, which we have shared below. If you are an educator or team working at an institution which serves low-income communities, and your organization cannot afford the standard fee, you will be able to register for the amount you can pay. We do not have funding to support travel and housing costs.
- Full Price Ticket + Scholarship Fund Contribution – $2000 – The full price of the workshop registration fee, AND a contribution to the scholarship fund for educators in need.
- Full Price Ticket – $1500
- Two-Thirds Ticket – $1000
- Half Price Ticket – $750
- At-Cost Ticket – $550 – The cost of workshop training materials and food.
Application and Registration Timeline
- Application posted: January 17, 2020
- Application deadline: March 20, 2020
- Applicants will be notified by April 3, 2020
- Registration deadline: April 24, 2020
- Payment deadline: May 8, 2020
- Waitlist Spaces will be released by April 27, 2020
- Waitlist Payment/RSVP Deadline: May 15, 2020