- This event has passed.
Sewing – Learning in the Making: LIVE!
April 29, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 1:45 pm PDTFree
Learning in the Making: LIVE! Join Maker Ed on April 29 at 1:00 PM PST at bit.ly/MakerEdLIVE
Looking for something fun to make at home? Each week we are collecting and curating resources around a topic and this week is sewing by hand. We are focusing on making with what you have around the house. Here’s some inspiration to get you started!
Do you have mismatched socks lying around? Don’t throw them out! Sew them into a stuffed creature of your very own. Stuffed animals can provide a source of comfort in times of stress, reducing loneliness and anxiety. In fact, cuddling anything soft and comforting releases hormones that calm and soothe us—no wonder over 40% of adults sleep with a stuffed animal! Read more about the benefits of cuddling stuffed animals here and here.
Follow along with us as we livestream hand sewing a stuffed creature and talk about designing and sewing three dimensional objects.
To make your own stuffed creature, you will need:
- Planning supplies: paper, pencil, markers, crayons
- Base material: fabric, particularly old socks or other worn out clothing
- Tools: scissors, needle and thread (you can also use hot glue)
- Stuffing: fiber fill, paper, fabric
- Decorations: buttons, beads, googly eyes, fabric, yarn, ribbon, markers, paint, pom poms