Looking for something fun to make at home? Each week we are collecting and curating resources around a topic and this week is zines. We are focusing on making with what you have around the house. Here’s some inspiration to get you started!
“A zine, pronounced “zeen” (just like the end of the word magazine), is a homemade publication. There are no set-in-stone rules for making zines. A zine can be about anything you’re interested in. Really! There are all kinds of zines including: fanzines (a zine about something or someone you love), cooking zines full of recipes and tips, comic zines, art zines, poetry zines, and personal zines where people write about their daily lives” (Celia C. Pérez, How to Make a Zine: A Kid-Friendly DIY Guide). Watch a quick video about zines to get started.
Follow along with us as we learn how to process and cope with our feelings, creating a zine as a way to document and share our thoughts and ideas:
We are so excited to support hands-on learning as educators, caregivers, and young learners shift to distance learning, and we need your support! Donate today so we can keep going.
We are focusing on making with materials you have around the house. Here are some suggested materials for you to gather for your zine making:
- Base materials: paper, assortment of writing utensils
- Tools (optional): scissors, stapler
- Connecting materials: glue, tape
- Additional embellishment materials (optional): yarn, ribbon, post it notes, fabric, magazines, posters, assorted paper, paints, anything else you can find!
Download the project guides below:
Want resources around coping with crisis and confinement?
- Who We Are, Or Could Be, in Times of Crisis, or consider Anne Frank and her journaling about her life in confinement.
- For tips on how to talk to young people about what’s going on, here’s a short video about expressing emotions and another on how to have difficult conversations with kids.
- For general coping with life, and more recently, coronavirus pandemic topics, NPR has a great podcast called Life Kit aimed at helping us be human.
Looking for additional inspiration? Check out these ideas:
- Interested in more pages? Try this 14 page zine or use these techniques to make your own bound book.
- Design and fabricate accessible picture books with the Build a Better Book project.
- Create a series of several zines telling a story about the same universe
Learning in the Making: LIVE! is an online video series designed to support educators and families with accessible hands-on learning experiences. This work is part of our focus on supporting remote learning in various environments. (To learn more, read this blog post about our work during shelter-in-place measures in 2020.)
Each week, we are hosting a live making activity on our YouTube channel and sharing related resources on our blog.