2020 has been an unexpected year for most of us. We’ve been faced with new challenges, a lot of changes, and that comes with many different emotional responses. As the 2020 presidential election gets closer and the winter blues start to kick in, we’ll need some more self care tools, tips and tricks to get us through this winter.
Join us as we explore a variety of materials, learn more about emotional regulation, and make some tools that can help us in our times of need.
What would you include in your self-care box?
Follow along with us as we make our own Self-Care Kits. Join Maker Ed on October 30, 2020 at 1:00 PM PST (or watch the video below afterwards).
To make your own Self-Care Kit, you will need:
- Small or Medium sized box or bag: ex: old shoe box, cereal box, any cardboard or plastic box
- Sensory materials: velcro, putty, feathers, pipe cleaner, candles, paper, containers etc.
- Connection materials: tape, glue, clips, etc.
- Tools: Scissors, Pens, Pencils, Markers, Paper
- Optional Embellishing materials: glitter, stickers, drawings
Looking for additional inspiration? Check out these ideas:
- Check out The Mindful Life Project for guided mindful sits and hip-hop resources.
- Watch Pixar’s Inside Out and Netflix’s Brainchild Emotions episode to learn more about emotions
- Visit WeAreTeachers for more DIY Fidget Ideas
- Create a sensory board using these ideas for inspiration
Learning in the Making: LIVE! is an online video series designed to support educators and families with accessible hands-on learning experiences. This work is part of our focus on supporting remote learning in various environments. (To learn more, read this blog post about our work during shelter-in-place measures in 2020.)
Each week, we are hosting a live making activity on our YouTube channel and sharing related resources on our blog.
We are so excited to support hands-on learning as educators, caregivers, and young learners shift to distance learning, and we need your support! Donate today so we can keep going.