This holiday season, a world-renowned tech company is opening pop-up stores that will offer consumers a one-of-a-kind in-store experience, which showcases a variety of leading consumer electronics, encourages recycling of used electronics, and offers unique in-store programming by way of events, contests, and special discounts.
Maker Ed is excited to be working with this company to help recruit, train candidates, and select tools and starting materials.
We are currently seeking highly skilled candidates who have a flair for creating inventions using e-waste materials (toolkit provided) in these one-of-a-kind popup retail environments, which will be operational in the following cities: Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York City.
We are looking for innovative people with a drive to invent. You will use a shared space equipped with tools in the front window of the pop-up store. Throughout the residency, artisans will create artistic and/or functional objects using e-waste in this public space, allowing for an ongoing dialogue with the community about innovation, the creation process, technology, and environmental awareness.
- Have experience in DIY (do-it-yourself) art and/or tech projects involving reuse of electronic equipment
- Be able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Be comfortable across various platforms: PC, Tablet, Handset
- Have experience documenting process throughout a project via photos, blog entries, and written reflections
- Be well versed with social media platforms
- Enjoy tackling technical challenges
- Enjoy interacting with the public and love the challenge of a great question
- Be able to lift up to 25 pounds
This opportunity will require a 10-week commitment beginning November 18, 2013 and ending in late January 2014. Part-time (8-16 hours per week, 2-5 days per week from approximately 12:00 – 4:00 p.m. each day). Some holiday work is required, with three days of mandatory training from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 pm during the first week of employment. Salary is competitive.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Inventor Application: [Desired location]”. In your cover letter please indicate the pop-up location to which you are applying. We strongly encourage candidates to include a link to their portfolio or other evidence of prior work in art and/or electronics.
Download the Inventor job description pdf here.