To achieve our mission, we employ four strategies:
- Building local maker communities. We support local partners to strengthen their making programming and ensure that multiple institutions in their area – both formal and informal – have the capacity to engage in making.
- Leveraging networks to spread maker education. We pursue partnerships with organizations that have strong regional and national influence to scale our impact.
- Creating community, fostering connections, and curating resources. We foster relationships between educators and institutions and share key learnings from our work in order to further the field.
- Broadcasting the value of maker education. We aim to share our own work and that of the broader maker educator community to raise awareness, appreciation, and interest in maker education.
Our Theory of Change
Too many youth lack the opportunity for learning experiences that engage and motivate them to develop a passion for learning. Many of today’s youth are not developing the essential qualities, knowledge, and skills they need to face their rapidly changing and challenging world, including how to think critically, how to solve problems, and how to work effectively with others.
Given that our educational system will be slow and difficult to change, we believe—
- Youth are physically and emotionally well and are motivated to learn;
- Educators have the training, resources, frame of mind, and support they need;
- Youth have a supportive community that values and promotes learning; and
- Learning environments are safe, sound, and responsive to learners’ different needs;
- Educators will facilitate engaging learning experiences;
- Youth will participate in learning experiences that excite and motivate them;
- Learning experiences will celebrate and develop learners’ unique qualities; and,
- Youth will have fun, build confidence, and become passionate about learning.
By enabling educators to use maker education—with a particular focus on those in underserved communities—we believe Maker Ed can help them transform their learning environments, and together we can reach thousands of youth of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities.